What is AI?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is concerned with the understanding of the mechanisms underlying intelligent behavior and their implementation in computers. The explosive innovations in technologies such as machine learning, data mining and high-performance computing, have led to tremendous advances in the theory and applications of AI. AI applications are now available in a multitude of fields such as manufacturing, transportation, health, security, and others.
AI at IUPUI
The mission of the institute is to act as a catalyst for the promotion and coordination of AI and AI-related research activities at IUPUI and beyond, and to develop major research initiatives for high-impact AI technologies and applications.
As the most comprehensive campus in Indiana, IUPUI has many faculty members and researchers in different units who are conducting research in Integrative AI. The goal of the institute is to bring this talent together.
Focus for iAI
The Institute of Integrative AI adopts an application-centric, multi-disciplinary, problem-solving approach that combines a broad spectrum of AI related technologies to achieve practical utility in the targeted fields. This integrative approach aims to leverage the core advanced AI theory and algorithms with a full range of other methodologies and technologies in developing research, development, and education initiatives to enhance AI capabilities to solve large scale and complex application problems.
The institute has three main objectives:
- Facilitate, cultivate and develop group collaborations in support of major AI related funding opportunities.
- Promote AI research activities and applications on campus.
- Showcase IUPUI’s AI effort to the community.
To achieve these objectives, we will carry out the following specific activities:
- Identify AI and AI application researchers on the campus to develop an enhanced and efficient network that enables communications for researchers to establish potential collaborations.
- Organize symposiums and research summits to encourage collaboration and help disseminate research results
- Coordinate and steward collaboration groups to pursue large funding opportunities.
- Fund seed projects to generate preliminary results for both innovative collaborative projects as well as for targeted large funding opportunities.
- Provide infrastructure support (space, media, etc.) for the dissemination of high impact AI research results and applications.
The research activities the institute will focus on are outlined in the diagram below. There are three types of research activities shown in this diagram:
- the core AI technologies (vertical bar)
- enhancement AI technologies (horizontal bar)
- AI applications (please note that the topics listed in the diagram are not meant to be a complete list)
AI is impacting every sector, offering countless opportunities for multidisciplinary approaches, which is a focus of this new institute.Shiaofen Fang, Director, iAI Institute & Professor of computer and information science
AI at IU
At Indiana University, what sets artificial intelligence research apart is collaboration—both interdisciplinary work among AI faculty experts and work with government and industry partners—and access to IU's world-leading university IT infrastructure.Learn more about AI research at IU
- School of Medicine
- Regenstrief Institute
- Fairbanks School of Public Health
- School of Dentistry
- School of Liberal Arts
- School of Nursing
- O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs